Grand Piano by Stodart Circa 1790
This very early grand piano has the rare combination of a single bridge
(made obsolete in 1788 by Broadwood’s invention of the divided bridge)
and a 5½ octave keyboard (first used on Broadwood’s pianos in 1790).
The very elegant satinwood crossbanded and inlaid mahogany case,
with a satinwood veneered, tulipwood crossbanded and inlaid keywell,
is raised on a carefully replicated trestle stand.
Two pedals control una corda, and dampers.
One of only fifteen recorded 18th century grand pianos from this most
important maker; it has been carefully restored from a well preserved example.